I love food! And by no means am I in the league where I can brag about all the Pinterest-worthy recipes I can make or bake, but I definitely enjoy my fair share of fabulous food. There are times I come across a recipe in a magazine or online and swear that I will make it one day…only to discover that my time is just not what it used to be - go figure! But this one recipe, well it was different. Why? Because it reminded me of one of my favourite dishes at a restaurant in downtown Vancouver - yam fries with marshmallow dip. I know this will not be for everybody, but this recipe right here, is for somebody and that somebody (like me) is gonna thank me later!
I found this recipe in Style At Home magazine’s January issue, featured as the Dessert of the Month. Now, I know we are sitting on the last day of March, but give a girl a break! I did previously mention that I don’t have a lot of time to bake anymore, right?! So here it is…Marshmallow Sweet Potato Loaves! (Confession: I have this thing for marshmallows!) So of course the first food post I do has to have marshmallows. These loaves are easy peasy and taste absolutely delicious! I did make some substitutes based on my own personal preference and the recipe was still perfecto.
- 4 small sweet potatoes (or 2 large)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup of chopped pecans (optional)
- 9 large marshmallows
- 2 large yams instead of sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil instead of vegetable oil
- 1/4 sea salt
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg (not a huge fan)
- I left the nuts out so I could serve my guests tonight (some of which have nut allergies)
- I used mini marshmallows instead
- The recipe calls for cooking the sweet potatoes in the microwave. I don’t like to cook in the microwave so I pre-cut my yams and boiled them on the stove.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Grease 9-loaf mini loaf pan (alternatively use mini loaf baking cups in a 9”x13” pan) - I used a coconut oil spray to grease.
- Peel and then cook yams until flesh is tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Whisk the sugar, oil, eggs and salt until combined.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a bowl.
- Mash the cooled yams and combine with the sugar mixture.
- Stir the flour mixture into the yams.
- If you used nuts, fold in pecans.
- Evenly fill the loaf cups with batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the toothpick inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out cleanly.
- Set aside loaves to cool.
- Using a wet knife, cut each marshmallow into 3 slices and top each loaf with 3 slices each. (I used mini marshmallows and just placed the on top.)
- Set loaves under the oven broiler for 2-3 minutes or until the marshmallows are toasted and golden.
- Serve warm and enjoy!